Mie ayam or Indonesian chicken noodles is one of the favorite street foods in Indonesia. If I have to choose Indonesian street foods, Ill definitely choose mie ayam instead of bakso (its also famous Indonesian street food). Im quite a sweet tooth person so I tend to choose savory food that also has sweetness.
When I was in high school, our canteen almost provides all kind of food. Bakso, mie ayam, batagor, chicken porrige to name a few. Do you know what food I often had for lunch back then? Yes, mie ayam. I really miss those days and also the seller.
Actually I made mie ayam and ice cream cake in a same day when a friend came over. Let me introduce her. Her name is Derin. The first time I knew her is when I was in college. She ever brought her homemade strawberry ice cream once and it gave me an inspiration to share my ice cream cake recipe to her. Ice cream cake for the dessert and mie ayam for the main dish. And we were so happy that we succeed making them. Here is our selfie.
Step by step images for making mie ayam:
Instead of egg noodles, I use spaghetti in this recipe. Just to make it fancier.
By the way, do you ever use kecap manis (thick sweet soy sauce) in your dish? In this recipe I recommend you didnt substitute this important ingredient with anything. You can find it in asian grocery store. I like to use this kecap manis.
Its so easy to make and very delicious.
Mie Ayam: Indonesian Chicken Noodles
Prep Time: 10 minutes Yield: 6-8
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
1 large chicken breast (300-500 grams)
500 g spaghetti, cooked according its direction
300 g button mushrooms, chopped
2 onion, largely chopped
5 shallots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 stalk green onions
50-60 ml kecap manis or thick sweet soy sauce, or more if you like it sweeter
2 tbsp brown sugar or palm sugar
2 cups water or chicken broth
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp sesame oil (optional)
1 inch ginger, crushed
1 inch galangal, crushed
1/2 tsp nutmeg, grounded
1 red chili pepper, chopped (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
chopped green onion or celery, for garnish
1. Cook spaghetti according to its package direction. Set aside.
2. Marinate chicken breast with salt and pepper.
3. Sauté chicken breast in a frying pan over medium high heat, 5 minutes per side. Turn off the heat. Shred with fork or hand.
4. In a wok or large frying pan sauté onion with 1 tbsp vegetable oil over medium high heat for 5 minutes until translucent. Add shallots and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes.
5. Add 2 tbsp vegetable oil, mushrooms and a little bit of salt. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
6. Add chicken, kecap manis, brown sugar, water/chicken broth, green onion, ginger, galangal, sesame oil, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until half of the water evaporates.
7. Add spaghetti and stir until combined.
8. Set aside.
9. Put it on a plate and garnish with green onion or celery.