This recipe is currently one of my favourite snacks. So easy, so simple. The main ingredients are only four. Green tea aka matcha, white chocolate, almonds, and oats. Could you imagine the taste already? Soooo good if you ask me. By the way, green tea is currently a hit right now in my city, Bandung. There are many cafés that serves various kind of green tea flavour desserts. I rather choose to make it on my own than buying it haha. So this recipe was born.
I really love green tea thanks to my close friend, Avy, who ever made green tea latte for me. Aside from this yummy green tea chocolate bar, I already made several kinds of green tea desserts such as green tea ice cream, green tea semifreddo, green tea chocolate, green tea latte and green tea pudding. Yes I admit Im crazy for green tea. Totally green tea madness (yay!). Maybe someday I will write the other recipes here. Just be patient ok? Because I dont want to make you and the other readers bored haha.
Be careful when you melt the white chocolate. When you overheat the white chocolate, the texture will turn into grainy clump. And guys, I will give you a warning here. In one of the steps when you make this recipe, you will experience the chocolate splitting. Its a condition when the cocoa butter (oil) is separating with the milk and sugar in the white chocolate. Thats when you mix the melted chocolate with green tea and warm water. The reason is because the water has a contact with the chocolate. But dont worry. You can return the texture to be silky and smooth again. In many articles Ive read you can use a spoonful of butter or oil. Then stir it into the chocolate. But in this recipe I always use a spoonful of cold water from refrigerator and it always works! Strange. Or maybe you can tell me the reason?
By the way enjoy it.
Green Tea Chocolate Bar
Prep time: 10 mins Serves: 12
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 40 mins
200 grams white couverture chocolate
150 grams oats, I use quick cook oats
100 grams thinly sliced almonds
2 tsp matcha/green tea powder
2 tbsp warm water
1 tbsp cold water
a pinch of salt
1. Mix green tea powder with warm water in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Toast almonds in a pan over low heat for about 10 minutes or until golden and fragrant. Always stir frequently.
3. Add oats and salt. Continue toasting and stirring for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
4. In a double boiler, melt the white chocolate over low heat. When all of the chocolate had melted, turn off the heat.
5. Add green tea mixture. You will experience chocolate splitting here. But don’t worry. Stirring frequently.
6. Add cold water and stirring until the chocolate and green tea mixture is silky and smooth.
7. Mix the green tea chocolate mixture with almonds and oats.
8. Put the mixture in a 6×6 inch container. Press it really tightly.
9. Cut into 12 bars.
10. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.
If you don’t experience chocolate splitting, skip the step 6.