Banana and chocolate. These two main ingredients are the most suitable ingredients for dessert or anything sweet. Arent you agree? This banana pancake with dark chocolate chips is sweet and fluffy. The texture is soft and pillowy. And can you believe that we can achieve such a fluffy pancake without baking soda? Yes, we can!
The secret is because I separate the egg whites and make a meringue by whisking granulated sugar into the egg whites. Tips to make meringue:
- Use room temperature eggs,
- For making meringue use a very clean copper/stainless steel/glass bowl and avoid using a plastic bowl because there can be traces of fat or grease which prevents the whites from getting stiff,
- Make sure that there is no a tiny bits of egg yolk in the egg whites. It prevents the egg whites from expanding,
- Use at least two tablespoons sugar for one egg white.
- Add sugar 1 tsp at a time, not all at once,
- Stop whisking when the meringue is stiff and glossy.
There are three stages of meringue. Soft peak, firm peak and stiff peak. The first stage forms a soft peak on a whisk, the next stage forms a firm peak and the egg whites are quite glossy, and the final stage forms a stiff peak and the texture is glossy. For this banana pancakes, I stop whisking when the meringue has soft peak.
The banana pancakes alone is perfect, but adding dark chocolate chips in the batter make the banana pancake even more perfect! Extra indulgent and yummy. Dont forget to sprinkle cocoa powder and remaining dark chocolate chips on top.
Look at those melt dark chocolate chips in the pancakes. Yuuummmm.
Banana Pancakes with Chocolate Chips
Prep Time: 20 minutes Yield: 16
Cook Time: 20 minutes Serving Size: 4
Total Time: 40 minutes
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips, divided
2 room temperature eggs, white and yolk separated
3-4 tbsp granulated sugar, to your taste
1/2 cup all purposed flour
cocoa powder, for dusting
1 tsp vanilla extract
A pinch of salt
1. In a cooper/stainless steel/glass bowl whisk egg whites until it becomes foamy. Add granulated sugar, 1 tsp at a time. Stop whisking when the mixture/meringue is stiff and glossy. Set aside.
2. In another bowl mix mashed banana, egg yolks, vanilla extract, salt, and flour.
3. Add half of meringue to banana mixture. Fold in until well combined. Add the remaining meringue and fold in until well combined. Do not over mix.
4. Add 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips and mix until combined.
5. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium high heat. Add 1 tsp oil. Reduce heat. Pour 2 tbsp of pancake batter and fry for a couple of minutes until golden. Flip the pancake over and fry for a couple of minutes. You can fry 1 or 2 pancakes at a time. Set aside.
6. Continue step above for another batter.
7. Put 4-5 pancakes on a plate. Sprinkle cocoa powder and dark chocolate chips on top.